Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday's Musings: Come

December is a month of going.
We go to Christmas parties. We go look at Christmas lights. We go to the store to buy pounds of chocolate. We go to work.  We go to friends’ homes for celebrations. We go to Christmas programs at school. We go to church. We go to see our family- near or far. We go to every last possible store to find the right present…. Or we go to the nearest store and say good riddance to traffic. But regardless of whomever you are, single, or married, young or old, teenager, or middle-aged, in December we go and we go and we go.

And for the most part, it is wonderful. It’s part of what makes Christmas in America- the parties, the lights, the food, the Christmas gatherings with family and friends, the beautiful church services, the Christmas programs. They bring memories and laughter, and it seems like cameras never get used quite so much as they do the last 31 days of the year!

And yet, in the midst of all of that going, one of my favorite words is Come.”  

As a little girl, my dad would get home from work, and come upstairs to my room, sit on my bed and say “come here”. I would climb in his lap and sit there as he fell asleep. The goal was for the opposite to happen, that he would sit and hold me until I fell asleep, but invariably, he conked out first. But I loved it. I would sit very still so I wouldn’t wake him in order for the moments to last a little longer.

As a kid, when I would visit my Grandparents, and my Grandma would motion to me and whisper the words “Come here”, and as I followed her, a smile would light up my face because I knew there would be something special for me in the next room…sometimes it was one of my favorite cookies that she would slip to me without my mom seeing, sometimes she would take me to her favorite chair and paint my nails, or sometimes she just talked to me, but in that talk she made me feel like the prettiest girl in the world.

As a college student, when I was so far from home, I would listen to my parents voicemail and hear “Just another week until you get to come home!” And it was that excitement of “coming home”, that joy of knowing in a few days I would get to “come” into my parents’ hugs and my siblings laughter that would give me the strength to study for that last final and write that last paper.

As an adult, when I had a particularly difficult week, and my best friend would text me and say “Come over.” And I would walk in her door, pet her dogs, play with her kids, and sip ice water on the couch and just talk.

At the end of a long day, when my husband sits beside me on the couch and says “Come here” as he pulls me into a hug and just holds me.

As I open the Word of God and hear Jesus telling me…

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest….I have come so that you might have life and life to the full.”*

Come.

There’s something so refreshing in a word so simple.

So as you gather around friends and family, don’t hesitate to say “come” to someone in the midst of the going. It might be just the moment they need.

And, please, in the craziness of going this December, remember to take the time to “come” to Christ. Let him give you the rest you need, and the life you desire.


No comments:

Post a Comment