Wednesday, February 19, 2014

That friend


Since this is still the “love” month, today I thought it fitting to celebrate friendship.

Since my job is with students, I see that unfortunately so much of the hurt and pain is caused by friends… and so this came pouring out today. I can only that my unborn children are able to find the types of friends that Aaron and I have been blessed with throughout our entire lives.

*** Disclaimer! For my friends and family reading this, no, I’m not pregnant.  I promise you won’t find out by my blog!***

 Dear friends of our unborn daughter,

First, know that we love her. More than you or she could imagine. And we love you too, because you are friends with our daughter.

When she hurts you, please forgive her… don’t just drop her.

And while we’re on that subject...Please talk to her, not about her.

Know that your life choices will most definitely influence hers.

Don’t tell her to date that guy just because he’s cute.  

Help her find a young man that lives up to her standards- don’t encourage her to drop down to his.

When she tells you a secret, please keep it a secret. Rumors never helped anyone.

If she makes a mistake, please tell her she can talk to us. We will always listen.

Hold each other accountable. You will know more than we do regarding her struggles.

When she falls down in gym, don’t laugh with everyone else. Help her up… then laugh with her!

When we tell her no to that party, that event, that date, that skirt, that shirt, it’s because we know in 10 years, she will be thankful we protected her, not gave into her.  So please don’t tear us apart- just accept there are reasons that she, nor you, will understand.

Have fun together. Laughter is good for the soul.

Don’t make fun of her dreams and don’t let her make fun of yours.

Love each other. Pray for each other. Point her to Jesus.

 And know that we will be doing the same for both of you,

The Browns

 
Rather than just brush this off as good advice for the students in our life, take a moment to look inside. I pray that I am that friend to those I know, and I hope that you will be that friend to others.

To my friends that have walked through life with, forgiven me, loved me, talked to me, influenced me for the better, and wept with me. Thank you.

Holly

1 comment: