Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Round 2- for my niece


Each month my extended family, who lives all over, have a massive Skype chat so we can have a “family visit”. This past Sunday, my mom said that she read last week’s blog (Just Keep Swimming) to my 8 year old niece because she is in swim lessons…. and has seen Finding Nemo of course.

My niece then informed me that last week’s blog actually only referenced Finding Nemo twice which according to her, did not warrant the title of “Just Keep Swimming”.
 3 things came out of that conversation-

1. The skyrocketing of the "awesomeness" of my already incredible niece! She listened to my blog- AND remembered it!!

2. The plummeting of my self-esteem. I was called out by an 8 year old.

3. This week’s blog: an article actually about Finding Nemo.  
So, my dear sweet Carolina, here’s to you and Finding Nemo. 

1. “Fish are friends not food!” is a lie.

At least in my life. 

I had fish as “friends” once in my life. I won them as a raffle award from a youth Valentine’s party. First, who gives fish away as a prize?!?!

Second, who gives fish away as a prize at a Valentine’s Party?!?!?!?!?!

Without going into the tragic details, let’s just say that all three pet fish were dead within a week.

Fish are not your friends. Or even your pets.



2. Fish are not given enough credit in the mascot world!

Let’s think about this… Marlin (Nemo’s dad) and Dory encountered sharks, anglerfish, jellyfish, and scary eels.  Not to mention they had to ride on the backs of sea turtles, speak whale, and swim forever.  I can’t testify to riding sea turtles or speaking whale, but as discussed last week, swimming is no easy task. It’s exhausting.

My husband pointed out that it’s much easier for fish to swim than humans, but I’m pretty confident that fish find it exhausting too.


So why don’t we ever see the Persevering Clownfish on the field? Or the Swimming Royal Blue Tang Fish on the court?  They deserve to be mascots as much as rams, eagles, bears, crabs, chickens, and who knows what else!

 

3. Dory had it right.

Let’s be honest, Dory is the heroin of Finding Nemo as much as Marlin was the hero. If she hadn’t “kept swimming” with Marlin, the story of Nemo might have never been told.

One of the beautiful elements of Finding Nemo is watching the relationship between Dory and Marlin develop. Marlin ended up leaning on Dory in ways he never thought he would.

So let me end with this- who’s your Marlin? Which friend is going through a hard time and could use someone to “swim” alongside them? Which friend needs persistent encouragement with the words “Just keep swimming”? 

Be Dory to someone because everyone needs a Dory.




No comments:

Post a Comment