Thursday, May 29, 2014

Detours.


Detours. How I hate them.  They take WAY longer than a normal route. They cause confusion and frustration because I am no longer in a familiar place. They create traffic which I H.A.T.E. with a passion.

Plus, there never seems to be anyone actually working on the road that they are shutting down- so why make us detour???
Pause there- if anyone out there works on the roadways; I have two thoughts for you.

1st- I’m extremely thankful for you. Anytime I drive one of the bridges by Sagemont that seem to be taller than a skyscraper, I always have a moment of awe that the bridge could be built while simultaneously experiencing a moment of terror that the bridge was built.  I’ve seen what happens to Lego towers when they’re not attached quite right….
2nd- Could you please explain why it seems permissible to put out "Road Closed" signs 6 ½ months before any human ever starts to work on that road? Please tell me there’s a reason- if nothing else, that it’s a plot to put the entire city of Houston into a traffic gridlock… oh wait…Houston already is. I answered my own question.

Anyways... 
Suffice it to say, I dislike detours.
And
all that comes with them.

I’ve recently talked with friends who are job searching. I hear from friends who have surprising new obstacles at work. I listen to friends who have encountered unforeseen trials. I know friends who are in the middle of major life decisions. And the list goes on and on…. Life’s detours.  How we hate them just like, (or most likely), more than road detours.

I don’t know about you, but I have my life plan and goals. So when something happens that detours me off that plan, I’m NOT happy. Why should I be? The plans are good. They aren't dishonoring to God…. And just like road detours, life detours cause HUGE delays and are frustrating and confusing. So answer me this, if my end goal is to work for a church and help further God’s kingdom, why did I have to wait for 2 years after grad school until I arrived here? If I wanted to be married, why did I have to wait until I’m 28 to find the right man?

Or maybe your questions sound like this…if I want to be a nurse overseas, why do I have to go to nursing school and then work three years in America first? If I want to teach 2nd grade, why do I have to spend my first year teaching Kindergarten? If I simply want to find a job so I can pay my bills, why have I been searching and applying for months without any offers? If I want to have children, why am I infertile? If I love volleyball, why can’t I make the school team?

We all have our questions. We all have experienced our road blocks… our detours to life’s goals.  And most of us have been confused. Maybe a little frustrated. Hurt. Annoyed. Angry.  And weary…always weary of the detours…

Why do we have to get caught in “life’s traffic” before arriving to our dream destination? Why do we have to be pointed onto a new road, one of unfamiliar surroundings and surprising twists & turns?

If we strip away the other questions, we are left with this one simply query:
Why doesn’t God follow our plans... our “map”?


Reading it that way makes me cringe a little. 
Do I really want God to follow my plans when He has so clearly told me:

 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written,
every one of them, the days that were formed for me,

when as yet there was one of them..*
For MY thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways MY ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are
MY ways higher than your ways and MY thoughts than your thoughts...**
YOU number my wanderings,
put my tears into Your bottle, are they not in Your book?...
This I know,
because God is for me.***


Hearing that God has planned out my days before I was even born, with plans that are immeasurably higher than mine, I never have to doubt that He has led me down a closed road. I never have to wonder if he sees how many tears I cry on my detour…He has collected each teardrop. My “wanderings” are numbered by Him…they are ordained by Him.

At the end of the day, I am learning to trust that

My detour is actually the path.

How?

Because this I know…God is for me.



* Ps. 139:16
** Is. 55:8-9

**Ps. 56:8-11

2 comments:

  1. We heard a few weeks back about Plan A - my well thought out plan that seems to from time to time - duh - all too often leave me in the dirt and GODS Plan B where I ask that he lead and I follow - THANKFULLY. Seemed to make having a choice and making a choice easy and a lot less for me to worry about day to day. Now he's got me and it in his HAND! Leaving me to just take'n the easy road :) ...nuff said :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! God's path/plan is usually a detour to our own tiny planned out path. But I'm glad, cus looking back on my life, if I were to have gone the way I wanted to - the way I had mapped out - I wouldn't be half the man God is making me out to be! I'm so grateful that He has a plan for my life! "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord."

    ReplyDelete