Monday, November 11, 2013

Ice skates, cereal, and Monday realizations


I got to thinking about some life lessons... that to be perfectly honest, maybe took me longer than it should have to learn them... but here you have them.

I'm sure you WON'T be able to relate at all.
 

5. No matter how many times I perform the triple-toe-loop on my kitchen floor, I will never become an Olympic Ice Skater.

Even though I deeply long to say – Move over Kristi Yamaguchi!!  It’s time I accepted the fact that I never will.

I know you've done the same thing- so don’t pretend you have no idea what I’m talking about!

4. The best snack isn’t chips…. It’s cereal.

I didn’t fully embrace my cereal addiction until college…. If only I had realized earlier the full extent of how delicious a bowl of cereal is…. *sigh*

And yes, I realize I should probably get some help for this addiction.

3. It actually does take practice to play the piano well.

My mom always told me to practice. She even gave me a required amount of time to spend at the piano every day.
If only I had spent that time actually playing the piano and not day-dreaming about the previously mentioned Olympic career and my favorite bag of chips, I maybe would be able play Mary had a Little Lamb again.

2. I actually shouldn’t marry a surfer.

I had the expectation of marrying a surfer, and we would travel the world and see all the gorgeous views of tropical beaches… Paid for by the competitions he would win, of course!

I only wish I was kidding… Especially since I grew up in Oklahoma and surfers were a little hard to come by in a state without a beach.

Before you laugh too hard- I’m sure if you think hard enough you have your own:

 “I actually shouldn’t marry a __________”
A Member of One Direction? An Olympic bob-sledder? That boy that I waved at in 6th period?

With time, I have found that I love stability and home - even more than traveling.
But mostly, I love the man who I actually did marry… and the fact that his deepest desire is to follow Christ and make a difference in others. I’m so thankful God blessed me with the perfect husband for me.

I’ve learned the occupation of the man doesn’t matter… the heart inside of the man does.


1. I shouldn’t have put so many things before time with God.

They were good things. I wasn’t into bad stuff… but, I do have to ask myself, how good can something actually be when it replaces the priority only God deserves?

Sports, friends, school, careers, music, hobbies …even family and church. 

They belong below Christ, not above.

   _________________________________________________________________________




What about you? What are things you should have learned a long time ago?

 
Never to eat barbeque without 200 napkins in front of you?
If you hate confrontation, maybe you shouldn’t be a police officer?

No comments:

Post a Comment