Thursday, January 23, 2014

Frozen, Sisterhood, Welts, and Laughter


Living in Texas, we don't always rarely get cold weather. BUT tonight, we are supposed to have a cold front!

The possibility of ice got me thinking about Frozen. If you have not seen Frozen, do so!! It is quite possibly my favorite Disney movie.

Frozen, in turn, made me think about my sister and all the memories we have growing up together. So, today, in honor of ice in Texas, Frozen’s greatness, and my incredible sister, Kara, I share with you a few of the great moments of the:
 
Hastings Sisterhood.

1. Hand-prints welts

In one of my earliest memories of Kara and I, we had just gotten out of the bathtub. (Keep in mind that she is five years older than I.)

 “Holly, I wonder if it will hurt you more, if I hit you
when you are wet instead of when you are dry?

 And then, without warning, WHACK... The sensation of stinging pain ripped through my back, and I stood in utter shock and pain as tears started to flow.

Kara says: “Wow!! I can see my handprint on your back!”

Yes, I did get her in trouble. Extremely well-deserved trouble.

 

2. Wicked Queen

“Who wants to play wicked queen?!”

 Kara convinced Ben, my older brother, and I that it would be fun to play… on more than one occasion. (Which yes, I realize says more about my intelligence level than hers) She got to be wicked queen, and Ben was her bodyguard. I was the slave that had to do EVERYTHING the Wicked Queen Kara asked.
 
… A visit to the ER later, my chipped tooth and 3 stitches caused Wicked Queen to be banned from our household.

 
3. Persecuted Teens

 Moving into my early teenage years,  one night Kara wanted to feel like what a persecuted Christian might experience… So, she made us sleep with the window open in our room one November night WITHOUT blankets so we could experience the coldness of an Asian prison.

My mother did not appreciate that experiment…

 
4. Sweet 18

On Kara's 18th birthday, she wanted to know what it might be like to be tortured for Christ and then have to live disabled…. (If you’re sensing a theme, yes, she was called to missions!) She made me lead her around our house blindfolded, so she could experience the difficulties of living as a blind person.  I’ll never forget that she was wearing her old, rattiest green sweatshirt with a duck that said “Duck the Halls” with Christmas lights  wrapped around its’ head, and bright red sweatpants.

To her shock and probably horror, we had planned a surprise birthday for her, and so her request to be blindfolded helped us out perfectly…..But all of her friends saw her in that outfit… blindfolded with a cane. Sweet vindication I say. :)

 ......

I won't even begin to tell you of the number of times she's accidentally seared my forehead with a curling iron while doing my hair, or licked her finger and applied saliva to my face, as she did my make-up…. But through all the years and all the memories our Hastings Sisterhood is stronger than frozen’s and I am so thankful that God blessed me with a sister like Kara… I couldn’t ask for a better one.

 

If you have siblings, let this cold weather remind you of the blessing of family.

And maybe let them know that they are “someone worth melting for.”

– Olaf, the snowman from frozen


 



 
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment